Saturday, March 27, 2010

Maybe I need to do some optimization.

After three and a half days of pumping bits to and fro my computer finished rendering a first scene of Multi Dimensional Eye Virus 3D. A little over 300 frames or almost 13 seconds. The result is not half bad if I may say so myself. Inspired to move on but at this pace it will be a while before I finish…

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Let's hope it is a coincidence

Finally I had an opportunity to go running again this morning, Spring has arrived. My eye was caught by a folded up newspaper on the sidewalk, displaying a swastika right next to a picture of Obama. The images belonged to two completely unrelated articles of course. But the way the paper was folded for delivery did not immediately make that clear. I know of The New York Post and its reputation, let's just hope this visual insensitivity was unintentional.

The full cover was not very subtle either, by the way

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Testing, Testing, Dimension Three

Seriously moving into the fourth dimension with my new Multi Dimensional Eye Virus animation.

A lot is fixed. Found more room for improvement, which will unfortunately involve more scripting. Oh well. But I am NOT a geek!

Friday, March 12, 2010


No idea how it works, seems to have been written entirely in Javascript. But the effect is amazing: Harmony - procedural drawing tool. I drew the image posted here on the left in a few minutes. Using the touchpad on my laptop. (via Drawn!)

Update: could not help myself and played with it again the next day (image on the right, just using shaded mode). And then found out that if you press Contol you can select a color to draw with. So I guess I need to play with it a bit more...

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Into the Second Dimension (again)

After working hard for a day and a half, briefly interrupted by an only seconds long power outage that shut it down none the less, my desktop computer finished rendering a HD test of the second dimension for Multi Dimensional Eye Virus 3D. It did not quite turn out as I had hoped:

Too much camera movement, too much moment overall. At least now I know what I need to change! At production quality the render times are about 13 minutes per frame. And that is with just one of these objects... may need to look into some scene optimization.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Update from the Fourth Dimension

The recent blog silence was mainly due to the fact that the semester started and classes took up most my time not spent caring for my son now that my wife is in the Antarctic. But I also did not have much to show for the progress I was still making on a 3D version for the Multi Dimensional Eye Virus series. I have been scripting stuff to get Maya to do what I wanted, which it now sort of has:

Would love to write a few more words now, but the human alarm clock will sound in about seven hours so I should really call it a day.