Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not a bad way to turn ninety!

Some Great Artists

(Left to right) Tony Dalton, John Landis, Ray, Tim Nicholson (associate event producer), Randy Cook and Terry Gilliam. Photo: Mark Mawston.


Through a post on linkedIn I came across this image. At least three of the people in this photograph I admired or even consider myself a fan of. Terry Gilliam is my favorite director. As a teenager I was very much into John Landis' movies. When "An American Werewolf in London" came out, I clipped many an article. Especially on the work of Rick Baker, who is not in this picture but was present at the event.


I did see the new nonagenarian (I actually had to look that word up) a couple of years ago when this master of animation was in his early eighties. He showed some of his original art work and I was much impressed by the quality of his drawing, which are works of art in and of themselves. I also admired the sharpness of his mind and foound his talk to be very inspirational. This was in Amsterdam, and we went there with a bunch of Visual Effects students from the Netherlands Film and Television Academy, where I taught at the time.


I am not even half way there, but turning ninety this was does not seems a very daunting prospect!

No comments: